Friday, March 4, 2011

What's there in NAAM ?

These days we even don’t pay attention while interacting in our own languages. It seems English has become first language of many young Indians who sometimes speak Hindi in English way.
Today a funny incident happened with me. I was registering my name for one of the event happening in MIT campus. A girl at registration desk asked a funny question to me. She asked me that, “Please tell me  NAAMS (NAMES) of your team members.” I was shocked after listening such mixing of languages. & a thought came in my mind. Are we really progressing?
NAAMS.. is it a plural for NAAM in Hindi ? As far as my Hindi knowledge is concerned, it is certainly not. And NAAMS is also not an English word. Instead of speaking in incorrect way, she could have asked the same question in pure Hindi or in pure English. Use of English words while speaking in regional languages is acceptable. But you can’t make plural of any word just by attaching ‘S’ at its end.
I don’t want to raise language issue here. I am just emphasizing on use of correct language; whether it is Hindi or English. Various people can’t speak in fluent English because of many problems. But we speak in our mother tongue since our birth. So there should not be question of not knowing basic rules of language.
So, I just want to request all those who like to flaunt their language skills, please be clear with whatever you speak. Else you will land up in trouble. And people will make fun of you like, NAAMS…

AMBAVANE's


4 comments:

  1. so what u did after listning NAAMS.... did u mentioned this to her or jus listned laughedn went ahead .....what r u doing on ur bhaf to improve this ....LEAD 4M FRONT...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was not the right time & place to make her realize the mistake. But if such incidence happens in future, i'll certainly take lead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. मराठीत म्हणतात पाच, त्याला इंग्रजीत म्हणतात फाइव्ह
    सगळ्यांची भाषणं ‘ डेड ’ फक्त राजचंच भाषण ‘ लाइव्ह ’-शर्मिला ठाकरें

    ReplyDelete